[ale] OT: Napster

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sun Feb 13 18:59:55 EST 2005

DRM is a funny thing.  I emailed Napster after seeing the Super Bowl
commercial.  The question was how to use their service with a generic
memory stick player and Linux.  I get an email explaining how the files
I download from them are in WMA format with Windows DRM.  Then they go
on explaining how I can circumvent that protection by burning and audio
CD and ripping then converting back to MP3.  A PITA to do.  At the end
of the email they even suggest using a CD-RW in case I plan on doing
this a lot and their software can erase the CD-RW before buring.  I bet
iTunes would have never told me these things.  I already knew this
process but I just thought it funny they would tell me about it.