[ale] hack attempts

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Fri Feb 11 15:05:03 EST 2005

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 01:21:43PM -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

[snip]

> 	I keep my ssh access on IPv6 where I can get at it from anywhere on
> IPv4 and yet it can not be scanned for.  Metasploit is just doing brute
> force, scan-the-planet, scanning and won't touch IPv6.  And IPv6 is
> unscanable.  Even 6to4, if you take appropriate precautions (non-trivial
> EUI and restricte ICMP errors returns to non-listening addresses). IPv6
> is also a lot easier to set up and use then that silly "port
> knocking" (which works just as well on IPv6 as well, but who needs it).

Michael,

I'm completely ignorant when it comes to IPv6 and how it compares with
IPv4.  I wasn't aware that IPv6 was unscanable, for instance.  Do you
have any pointers to more information?  Specifically, HOWTOs for setting
up IPv6 on a typical linux server and why I would want to.  I'm also
particularly interested in how you've setup ssh on IPv6 only, and the
implications of that.

Many thanks,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9