[ale] Vonage alternatives...

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at joimail.com
Fri Feb 11 14:22:47 EST 2005

Nathan,

Don't you also have to have a land line from another provider, e.g.
BellSouth ?

Can Vonage be used with a dial out modem to surf the net, i.e. if I were
in Canada could I dial out on my modem to a U.S. phone # to net surf ?

If no, then how does it work ?

Thank you for your time,

Courtney

Nathan J. Underwood wrote:

> fwiw, I've had Vonage now for a few months and have been very pleased
> with it.  I had a problem similar to what you were describing about a
> week ago, but it ended up being the location of the 'Vonage Box' in my
> network (it really need to be 'outside', rather than 'inside'.  There
> have been a few hiccups, but I've got an alternate number listed (it
> goes to my cell if there's ever a problem), and I really like the price
> (phone service plus an 800 number for $30 per month).
> --
> registered linux user # 73046
>

> Ben Scherrey wrote:
>
>> I've used it and its not bad but I need dial-in service as well. Skype
>> doesn't yet offer that. Vonage is back up. Finally found out that they
>> had some issue with outbound calls. Never got a description of why.
>> Otherwise I've been pleased with their service and its been pretty
>> reliable. Only trouble is I have NEVER talked to a human and their
>> support just sucks when you need to contact someone. I was wanting to
>> expand my service with them to three or four lines but no one returned
>> my email! That just can't last long... so I'm still looking.
>>
>>    -- Ben Scherrey
>>
>> Jim Popovitch wrote:
>>
>>> I tried them for a week and gave up on it.  Skype works good, but I
>>> haven't tried their SkypOut POTS service yet.  I've "heard" that it is
>>> better than Vonage, but that may or may not be valid.
>>>
>>> -Jim P.

s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II
lying Oriental, NC