[ale] odd virus

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Fri Dec 30 22:48:26 EST 2005

I realize this is an oldish topic, but I figured it was worth replying
anyway...

I run an antivirus tool specific to AIM/IM viruses called AIMFix. It removes
thousands of virus variants, including the one sent to you by your niece.

Unfortunately, while this may be the first one you've seen, they're far from
unusual - I've been removing these since 2003 and they've shown no signs of
slowing. In fact, they've become even mroe common. They are normally adware
downloaders/spyware installers and usually also include an IRC bot for
backdoor access. More recent ones are also including rootkits to make them
almost indetectable via the usual means.

Anyway, you can send your niece to http://jayloden.com/aimfix.htm or just have
her download AIMFix directly from http://jayloden.com/AIMFix.exe to remove
the virus and clean the system. In case you're not the trusting type, you can
take a look at the users page - http://jayloden.com/users.htm - for a list of
dozens of Universities that use AIMFix, and I've also received the SoftPedia
"Free&Clean" award for being free of malware three times in a row.

To bring this back on topic...AIMFix is all cross-compiled under Linux using
mingw, and I do all of my development with vim, cvs and scons. See? It
involves Linux!

-Jay