[ale] BellSouth on Linux

Mike Kachline mkachline at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 18:35:29 EST 2005

How about "try before you buy"? Knoppix 4.0 (at least, the DVD) has both
KPPP and wvdial. See if you can obtain your desired configuration using the
knoppix "live cd", and if your happy with it, move on to installing linux on
your HDD.

1) Download Knoppix http://www.knopper.net/
2) Burn Knoppix to CD (don't use the windows drag-n-drop burn, use something
that supports ISO images)
3) Boot  the Knoppix CD or DVD.
4) On your task bar, click the penguin, then "Network / Internet" and then
"Modem Dialer"
or
4) On the task bar, click the monitor (terminal). You can run either "kppp"
or "wvdial" from there.

... I absolutely agree with the previous assessmnent that "dialup is
dialup". Though there are some different flavors of PPP authentication (PAP
vs CHAP vs MSCHAP), they are all pretty well documented, from what I recall.
I am pretty sure that wvdial is smart enough to "figure out" which
authentication scheme to use.

   - Mike

On 12/18/05, Mark B <marble_tn at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I am sincerely asking for help.  I am a Linux newbie.   I currently have
> win 2000 and want to raze my hard drive and install  Linux. I want to sign
> up for BellSouth dialup, and use Linux exclusively as my o/s.  However
> Bellsouth insists they don't support Linux.  Surely there is a way around
> this.  Any suggestions and input on how to do this?  Thanks very much for
> any help you can provide.

Mike Kachline
mike at kachline.net
http://www.kachline.net/