[ale] OT: Alternatives to Outlook on Winbloze

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 17 23:59:10 EST 2005

Hi Chris,

I recently moved from Linux to WinXP (for other business software reasons).  I use Thunderbird (Mozilla project) but NOT Norton.  Norton had it's day, but I think that has passed.  I only use Spybot (freeware, but accepts donations) and Spyware Blaster ($$ for auto-updates) and I have good confidence that my system is safe and secure.  I fooled around for a while with Microsoft's Anti-Spyware Beta (formerly Giant), but I didn't like it's reliance on DCOM and (presumably) future reliance on .NET.  Run Spybot resident (optional setting), and show your father how to keep it updated.  Along with Spyware Blaster your father should be as safe as a Linux user (of course he will miss out on the great KDE vs Gnome debate)  :-)  Honestly guys, I am a BIG Linux advocate, but I must say that I am happy using WinXP as a day-to-day OS. <ducking>

-Jim P.