[ale] Tar and end of tape

Howard A Story adrin at haswes.homelinux.org
Sat Dec 17 12:43:55 EST 2005

Greg Freemyer wrote:

>My tar backups have started hitting the end of tape.
>
>I'm using a LTO-1 drive which does compression on the fly so the
>amount of data a tape holds varies based on the data content.
>
>Does anyone know a way to tell tar to proceed to the next tape without
>having to artificially restrict the tapes capacity.  ie. tell tar that
>a tape holds 150 GB because your sure it can hold at least that much.
>
>FYI: I used to run my tar backups thru a little known program called
>mbuffer.  This used to work and handle the tape swapping, but since I
>upgraded to SUSE 10, it fails.
>
>Thanks
>Greg
>--
>Greg Freemyer
>The Norcross Group
>Forensics for the 21st Century

Hey,
Have you tried the man pages.   You know "man woman"   hehehehe

There are some options -L and -M, but I have not tried this.  I have the
same problem.  It is on my do later list.   Most of the backup programs
I have seen try to be to complex.  I just want to write to the tape,
not make a database.

Adrin