[ale] Tar and end of tape

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 12:24:03 EST 2005

My tar backups have started hitting the end of tape.

I'm using a LTO-1 drive which does compression on the fly so the
amount of data a tape holds varies based on the data content.

Does anyone know a way to tell tar to proceed to the next tape without
having to artificially restrict the tapes capacity.  ie. tell tar that
a tape holds 150 GB because your sure it can hold at least that much.

FYI: I used to run my tar backups thru a little known program called
mbuffer.  This used to work and handle the tape swapping, but since I
upgraded to SUSE 10, it fails.

Thanks
Greg
--