[ale] Recoding in Linux

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Dec 14 16:54:06 EST 2005

Maybe some people here are doing what I'm doing and can give some
insight.

I'm recording off my XM radio directly to hard drive as WAV.  I then use
lame to encode that to MP3.  I then tag the files with mp3tag.  Finally
I load those files onto my iPod so I can take XM with me.  My plan is to
get many hours of good quality recordings so when I don't have my XM I
can at least listen to the music/shows.  Right now I'm working on
channel 150.

Is there a good program in Linux or Winbloze that can record this audio
and automatically adjust the input levels to make is sound extremely
good.  right now I'm using record that comes with the xawtv distribution
and am manually adjusting the input levels.  I record then see how it
sounds and adjust as needed.

I have 2 laptops.  One with Linux and one with winbloze.  I don't care
what program I use as long as the end result is near perfect.