[ale] No Sound from FC4 - Clue Needed

Barlow, Jim D jim.d.barlow at intel.com
Wed Dec 14 16:36:11 EST 2005

I'm a GNU/Linux (currently gentoo) only guy, but I can tell you what to
look out for.

I would compile the kernel with ALSA support, but not the drivers, and
install the ALSA drivers 10.3 I think? And ALSA tools and utils..  This
will load compile modules against your source tree.   When you load
things up it still will not work for a couple of reasons,

1.	You'll want to run alsamixer (from alsa utils/tools) and make
sure that the levels are set above zero

You may alos have to:

2. 	You want to find and run the script that updates the
modules.conf or the ALSA sub config file that rolls up into modules.conf
(or whatever redhat calls it) and identifies the module to be used as
snd-intel8x0

I've gone through this recently on an 865 board...

- Jim