[ale] Problems with NTP?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Aug 19 08:51:19 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 15:03 -0400, Chuck Huber wrote:
> Has anyone heard of problems with NTP flooding a server?  I received a
> call from the USNO stating that my system was flooding them with NTP
> requests at a rate of over 70 per second.  I shut ntp down for the time
> being until I can figure out the cause.
>
> I'm running 4.1.2 on Fedora.  No updates available from RH.

Run a tcpdump on an upstream machine and restart ntpd on the offending
system. Verify that the noise really is from your system. Verify that
ntp traffic can return through your firewall. Try manually setting the
hardware clock to the correct time with the following:

/usr/bin/rdate -s ntp1.csx.cam.ac.uk && /sbin/hwclock --systohc --utc

**NOTE** my hardware clock is set to UTC not localtime. That line will
set the system time based on the time at the ntp1 system in the UK
(there are other rdate servers) and then set the hardware clock based on
system time.

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>