[ale] Squirrelmail, PHP5, dovecot

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Aug 3 21:14:51 EDT 2005

James P. Kinney III wrote:

>Good question. And yes, dovecot is listening to all interfaces and IP
>address.
>netstat -tl | grep -i imap
>tcp        0      0 *:imaps       *:*             LISTEN
>tcp        0      0 *:imap        *:*             LISTEN
>

>An error message from the /var/log/httpd/error.log:
>
>PHP Warning:  fsockopen() [<a
>href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to
>localhost:143 (Connection timed out)
>in /usr/share/squirrelmail/src/configtest.php on line 255

James,

There's a small example script at http://php.net/fsockopen (along with a
description of the function).  I'd recommend modifying it and running it
on the box as a further trouble shooting measure.  Something like:

|<?php
$fp = fsockopen("localhost", 143, $errno, $errstr);
if (!$fp) {
   echo "DAMN IT: $errstr ($errno)<br />\n";
} else {
   echo "Made the connection...no problems here.";
   fclose($fp);
}
?> |

Also, what version of squirrelmail are you running?  My version (1.4.3)
doesn't even *have* configtest.php...

John