[ale] Squirrelmail, PHP5, dovecot

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Aug 3 15:05:10 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 12:20 -0400, John Wells wrote:
> James P. Kinney III said:
> > All of a sudden squirrelmail is failing on connecting to the dovecot
> > IMAP server.
> >
> > PHP Warning:  fsockopen(): unable to connect to localhost:143
> > in /usr/share/squirrelmail/functions/imap_general.php on line 445,
> > referer: https://192.168.0.100/webmail/src/login.php
> >
> > I have this error on multiple systems. They were working 2 days ago. One
> > system I did an update on one system (PHP was in the update list) but
> > the other has not been updated.
>
> Forgive me for asking, but did your IMAP server happen to be on the
> updated machine?  Is dovecot indeed listening on localhost, or is it on
> one of your external interfaces?

Good question. And yes, dovecot is listening to all interfaces and IP
address.
netstat -tl | grep -i imap
tcp        0      0 *:imaps       *:*             LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:imap        *:*             LISTEN

An error message from the /var/log/httpd/error.log:

PHP Warning:  fsockopen() [<a
href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to
localhost:143 (Connection timed out)
in /usr/share/squirrelmail/src/configtest.php on line 255

Which looks to me like it can't open the required socket. BTW,
Thunderbird connects just fine to the IMAP server. I don't have SELinux
running on this machine so that is ruled out.