[ale] Mail frmo dynamic host

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Thu Apr 21 11:07:56 EDT 2005

On Thursday, April 21, 2005 9:19 AM, Christopher Fowler wrote:

> I sent an email this am and got back an error:
>
> <A.J.Caines at halplant.com>: host mail.halplant.com[68.105.184.54] said:
> 554
>     <66-23-224-81.clients.speedfactory.net[66.23.224.81]>: Client host
>     rejected: Mail from dynamic host (in reply to RCPT TO command)
>
> What does that mail server think I'm dynamic?

Probably because mail.halplant.com uses a DNS blacklist that says
your address is dynamic.  The following URL queries a large number of
blacklists.  A couple say your address is dynamic:

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ip4r.ch?ip=68.105.184.54

There's no way of knowing whether any of these blacklists are used
by mail.halplant.com except by asking them.

In the end, you will either have to argue with the blacklists, or
complain to the admins who bounce your mail, or relay your outbound
mail through your ISP SMTP server, or accept an occasional bounce.

--Joe