[ale] Nero for Linux

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 21 08:34:51 EDT 2005

James,
Nero was good at installing itself on SUSE 9.0.  It has its own install
scripts that found the system and kernel versions, installed the right
stuff in the right places, autodetected the drive, and helped me
configure the program initially.  I was impressed with how quickly I
figured out how to make it burn a DVD.  The drive was a LaCie external
firewire.  I had shutdown the machine, installed the firewire generic
card, hooked up the firewire interface to the LaCie dvd burner and
rebooted.  The firewire was recognized and configure by the startup
scripts in SUSE with no problem.  Nero scanned the interface during the
install along with the IDE interface.  It found my dvd reader drive
along with the burner drive.  The hardest part came with understanding
the menus and learning that DMA wasn't enabled by default on the
burner.  I used Verbatim 4x and Philips 8x DVD media with no problems.
The largest and longest write was left running.  When I came back later
I found that Nero had kept the drive running at full speed for several
hours.  That wasn't good.  However, Nero detected and recommended that
Suse Plugger be disabled.  I tried it both ways and it still worked fine.

Later installing on a laptop, Dell Inspiron 8500, we used USB to the
drive instead of firewire.  The laptop had Suse 8.2 but with a modified
Redhat 2.4 kernel from Emperor Linux.  Nero installed and auto detected
the drive just fine.  We burned a DVD and the user was in good shape.
K3b might also work but the versions of growfs would probably have to be
updated before a newer media such as 4x or 8x would work.  The burner
was actually a NEC 3520a in case your interested.
Dow