[ale] Help! moving a Red Hat 8 drive to a pre-existing XP system

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Sat Sep 11 15:19:36 EDT 2004

Greg said:
> If you go into your BIOS on boot up does the pc recognize both drives ?

Yup.

> Before you introduce GRUB on the MBR have you gotten rid of the MS boot
> loader first ???

No...haven't made it that far :)

> Can you just set up the MS boot loader to boot either Linux or XP ?? I do
> this sometimes on dual boot dual disk boxes, but I use Windows Pro 2000 as
> the Windows OS.  I don't have any experience with XP, but it's worth a
> shot.

I tried dd'ing the first 512 bytes of /dev/hdb1 and then following the
directions to copy it over to windows and add it to c:\boot.ini, but after
rebooting and selecting the linux option I created, all I get it a black
screen with a blinking white cursor.  If I could get this working, I could
give up on this whole effort :).

Btw, I can remove both drives, install the linux drive, and everything
works fine.

> I don't guess LILO would be any better ??

Don't know...I imagine if grub is having a problem lilo will as well, but
not sure.

Thanks,
John