[ale] Booting From DVDROM

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 10 16:50:07 EDT 2004

All,

	Thanks greatly for the router recommendations.  Since that went so
well, here's a stumper:  I recently upgraded my motherboard to an ASUS
A7N8X-X with an Athlon 3000+ and 1 GB ram (woo hoo!)

	I have a DVD-ROM drive as the 2nd IDE master, and no slave on that IDE
cable.  The drive is a Sony, I think.

	It refuses to boot from a CD!  I won't go into everything I've tried,
but I've done lots, including a different plain CDROM drive (do you know
how scarce a plain vanilla CDROM drive is nowadays? ;-).

	I've got the BIOS' three BOOT options all pointing to the CDROM (and
I've tried all sorts of combos), and it still goes straight to the GRUB
MBR on the HD!  Rats!  And, yes: the BIOS prints out the ID of the
drive, so it "recognizes it", for some definition of "recognize".

	The only thing I've not yet tried is the DVDROM drive uses a 40 pin
cable, instead of an 80 pin.  I don't hold much hope in that, though.

	So, let's get quibbling, folks!  What am I missing?

	Thanks in advance!

Danny