[ale] Need to improve my mail arrangement

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Sep 6 18:00:37 EDT 2004

Use a single app to download the email fromt he pop servers. Fetchmail
and others like it will do the job.

Now run any anti-spam, anti-virus tools and plop the resulting mail
files into an IMAP server. Set all the clients to use IMAP and they will
all see the same folders. If they all have the same filter sets the
clients will filter the email on opening to be put where you want them.
Conversely, learn the arcane rules (for me anyway) that procmail uses
and sort the mail automatically on the server into the correct folders.

If you need to see the email from a remote machine, Squirrelmail is
fantastic! All it needs is apache and PHP and access to the IMAP server.
Plus it has loads of add-on plugins that add some great functionality.
It supports a LAN/WAN wide database addressboook (MySQL/PostgreSQL) and
with a plugin, addressbook groups.