[ale] Need to improve my mail arrangement

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Mon Sep 6 15:38:31 EDT 2004

I'm on Comcast and between my wife and I we use three different e-mail
addresses.  Right now, we've got Evolution on two Linux machines and my
laptop.  Evolution on box A gets accounts 1 and 2 but only actually
offloads messages from account 1.  Box B gets account 3 and offloads
messages for that account.  The laptop gets accounts 1 and 2 but only
offloads account 2.

It's getting to the point where any box in the house - and it would be
nice if this extended to any kind of mail client (Evolution or Mozilla)
- needs to be able to see all the stored messages from any of the three
accounts.  This implies that the messages coming from Comcast need to
live on some kind of mail server in the house and the various clients
need to see a common set of folders.

Keep in mind that the clients (especially on box A and the laptop) sort
their incoming messages into folders through rules programmed into each
client.  That separation and separate storage probably needs to take
place in this mail server.

So, what does one use in a situation like this?

- Jeff