Fwd: [ale] Miguel de Icaza and Mono?

Carolinux.com bobevans19 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 05:32:55 EDT 2004

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 19:15:31 -0400, Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:
> Bob Evans wrote:
>
> > <tyrade>
> > Actually after Miguel finished Ximian Gnome & Evolution, he said that
> > Mono was a logical next step.
>
> I'm not sure I see that.  Gnome is a desktop environment that has no
> ties to M$ technologies at all.  The same goes for Evolution (no ties to
> M$ technologies).  If Miguel wanted to build a development environment,
> he could do so with out having it tied to .NET.

Gnome can run on either Linux or Windows. It thus directly competes
with $MS. Evolution (with the connector piece) can replace Microsoft
Outlook in an Exchange environment. Another direct competition with
$MS.

> > Most PC's run Microsoft OS.
>
> Your point?

My point is that he is writing product that can run in that space...

> > .NET is here to stay.
>

> Your opinion.
It will be around as long as Microsoft.

>Like Microsoft Bob?

Is that a jab at ME?

> > Why WOULDN'T one of the sharpest open source developers want to cash in on MS?
>
> I don't knock anyone making money off of M$ based systems.  I become
> concerned with it when it appears someone is going to sell out to M$.
> Mono depends on .NET.  So the open source world begins to use Mono, then
> M$ changes .NET.  What happens?

As long as Microsoft is in the picture they will support .NET and the
efforts of developers to use .NET.

> > I have been at it since '78, and I still make a lot more off the MS
> > world than the open source one.
>
> The fact that you've been at it that long would reinforce the fact that
> you have made more $$$ from M$ then open source.  I'm not sure I see
> that as relevant.
The point (again) is that we all need to make a living.If you can pay
all your bills supporting Open Source solutions, great. That's a
smaller market than $MS, that's all.

> > Someday that may change, meanwhile I put 5 kids thru college &  manage
> > to pay all my bills...
>
> Great!  I'm not knocking that.
>
> --
> Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
>                              AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995

I'm on your side, Geoffrey. If I wasn't, I wouldn't have co-founded CharLUG...

Oh. Shameless plug. We are having the fall InstallFest on 09/25/04 if
you guys from Hotlanta want to drive up & see how its done... 8)

--
Bob Evans        bobevans19 at yahoo.com   (read/delete weakly...)
alt email           reevans at bbandt.com     (read/delete daily M-F)

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand
binary, and those who don't.