[ale] OT: Copying a complete hard drive

John Wells lists at sourceillustrated.com
Tue Oct 19 00:04:29 EDT 2004

Kenneth W Cochran said:
> Network the machines (e.g. via a crossover cable), enable
> filesharing on one, map the drive on the other and copy to
> your heart's content.  :)
>
> Windows on both machines can (naturally) do this, as can
> (as another example) Knoppix, at least for the "client" end.
>
> I did this exact thing a couple of days ago & can attest to
> its working.  Fast too.

Kenneth,

Thanks for the reply.

The laptop currently has Fedora Core 1 installed.

So I would boot the laptop with Knoppix, share the drive from the XP box,
and then use dd to copy?  Will this successfully copy the entire XP
operating system, boot partition and all, over to the laptop?  Any
caveats?

Thanks!
John