[ale] OT: Copying a complete hard drive

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Mon Oct 18 23:53:01 EDT 2004

>Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:34:21 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "John Wells" <lists at sourceillustrated.com>
>To: ale at ale.org
>Subject: [ale] OT: Copying a complete hard drive
>
>Guys,
>
>I have a desktop with a Windows XP hard drive and would like to transfer
>the entire drive to a laptop.  The laptop has a 40GB hard drive, and the
>XP machine has a 20GB hard drive.  I can safely overwrite all data on the
>laptop drive.
>
>With as little ridicule as you can manage (hey...it's for work), is there
>any easy or creative way to accomplish this with open tools?  If not, any
>way to do it with commercial tools?
>
>Thanks for the help!
>
>John

Network the machines (e.g. via a crossover cable), enable
filesharing on one, map the drive on the other and copy to
your heart's content.  :)

Windows on both machines can (naturally) do this, as can
(as another example) Knoppix, at least for the "client" end.

I did this exact thing a couple of days ago & can attest to
its working.  Fast too.

-kc