[ale] memory questions

Bjorn Roche bjorn at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Oct 14 19:18:18 EDT 2004

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Bjorn Dittmer-Roche wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> 	I've decided it's time to upgrade memory on both my mac and my
> FreeBSD server. I really want nice RAM because of past experiences [1] so any
> general advice is appreciated in addition to specific answers:
>
> * My G4 450MHz crashes occasionally (frequently under heavy load) and I am
> suspecting it's the RAM (I bought the machine used, and I am writing my own
> software, so really it could be anything, but I want to rule out RAM). Is
> Apple the best vendor?
>
> * My FreeBSD server has a paltry 256. It's vanilla ram, but it works great so
> in this case I'd like to augment rather than replace it. The MoBo manual says
> I need PC1600 or PC2100 DDR SDRAM. Can I buy registered ECC RAM and expect it
> to play nice with the MoBo and existing RAM or do I need to replace? Will the
> mobo even work with ECC if it doesn't say so? I can't remember the speed of
> my existing RAM, is that an issue?

Hey thanks to everyone! The Crucial web site worked really well and I got
a Non ECC stick for my FreeBSD machine and it's noticably faster now
(although according to /compat/linux/proc/meminfo, I'm not even coming
close to needing it, but presumably I will at some point.) I'm having some
luck finding other problems with my mac, so I'm not going to worry about
its ram just yet.

Thanks again,

 	bjorn

Bjorn Roche