[ale] memory questions

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Mon Oct 11 21:18:37 EDT 2004

[...]

    Bjorn> * My G4 450MHz crashes occasionally (frequently under heavy
    Bjorn> load) and I am suspecting it's the RAM (I bought the
    Bjorn> machine used, and I am writing my own software, so really
    Bjorn> it could be anything, but I want to rule out RAM). Is Apple
    Bjorn> the best vendor?

If you buy RAM from Apple you're going to pay an enormous premium
(more than the regular hardware, if one can believe it :).  So long as
you get the right kind (use crucial.com to find out or check the
hardware manual) you shouldn't have a problem with off the shelf.
I've got 512M of Kingston (I think) PC2700 that I picked up at Best
Buy (hey, I had a coupon and there was a rebate :) in my g4 and it's
given me no problems.