[ale] X10 cameras and Linux

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Oct 6 06:24:14 EDT 2004

Kenneth W Cochran wrote:

>>>Might that be Hauppauge?  http://www.hauppauge.com/
>>>They're the WinTV people.  Best I can tell, nice products &
>>>good service.
>>
>>Although the do have nice cards (I have 4 of them), I don't think they
>>make a purely capture card.  I believe all of their cards have a tuner,
>

> Not quite, they do indeed make "tunerless" cards, aimed toward
> OEMs IIRC.  I have a couple & have bought several.  3 RCA-type
> composite inputs + 1 s-video.

Any links as to where one might get these cards?

>>which jacks the price up and is totally useless for this purpose.  You
>>can get a pci capture card with a single bttv chip and single input for
>>about $20.  There's a company that I purchased my 4 input card from that
>>makes these, just can't find the link.  I have a captivator pci card
>>that works very well, but can't find them anywhere now.
>

> The bttv chip (now Conexant I think) actually has 4 input
> channels anyway; it's up to card makers to decide how they
> want to connect them.  :)

It may be that I'm just not using the proper terminology.  I know that
you can get cards that have a single chip that handles 4 inputs, but the
throughput is divided across the inputs.  If you purchase the card that
has one chip per input, your throughput is not degraded in this way.

--
Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
                             AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995