[ale] X10 cameras and Linux

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at theworld.com
Tue Oct 5 21:41:19 EDT 2004

>Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 11:44:39 -0400
>From: Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net>
>Subject: Re: [ale] X10 cameras and Linux
>
>Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
>>>Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 09:36:08 -0400
>>>From: Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net>
>>>To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
>>>Subject: Re: [ale] X10 cameras and Linux
>>>
>>>As long as you look for bttv based cards, you should be in pretty good
>>>shape.  I have a link somewhere for a company that makes reasonably
>>>priced capture cards, I'll see if I can locate it and post it.
>>
>> Might that be Hauppauge?  http://www.hauppauge.com/
>> They're the WinTV people.  Best I can tell, nice products &
>> good service.
>
>Although the do have nice cards (I have 4 of them), I don't think they
>make a purely capture card.  I believe all of their cards have a tuner,

Not quite, they do indeed make "tunerless" cards, aimed toward
OEMs IIRC.  I have a couple & have bought several.  3 RCA-type
composite inputs + 1 s-video.

>which jacks the price up and is totally useless for this purpose.  You
>can get a pci capture card with a single bttv chip and single input for
>about $20.  There's a company that I purchased my 4 input card from that
>makes these, just can't find the link.  I have a captivator pci card
>that works very well, but can't find them anywhere now.

The bttv chip (now Conexant I think) actually has 4 input
channels anyway; it's up to card makers to decide how they
want to connect them.  :)

-kc