[ale] ot:hitler's draft

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Oct 5 20:34:59 EDT 2004

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 19:51, Carolinux.com wrote:
>
>>I coded 4 BofA 4 23 years until...
>

> LOOSER!!!  Anyone who works that long for the same company can't
> possibly have any ambition.

I find that insulting.  I put in 26 years with AT&T.  When you work for
a large company like that, it's like working for multiple companies.  I
did C, perl, java, web development, sys admin...  Further, I started out
driving a fork lift.  Got my degree on their nickel going part time
while working full time.  Yeah, I know, that's the stupid way to do it.
  Advanced from the fork truck driver to the 2nd highest technical
position in the corporation.

Don't tell me I don't have ambition.

For those of us who have invested a lot of time in a company with the
promise of a pension and such, you can't afford to just jump ship.  I'd
been wanting to leave AT&T for a good 10 years, but it would have been
quite foolish.  After 10 you're vested.  When I did, I retained my full
pension, 401k, medical benefits, life insurance, along with a year
severance.

Just because someone spends a lot of time with one company doesn't mean
they don't have ambition.

--
Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
                             AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995