[ale] OT- sorta - DNS

fgz fzamenski at voyager.net
Tue Nov 30 19:53:59 EST 2004

The boss calleth on me today, with a 'simple request'. This is for a
small business site: what I want to achieve is to have any end-user
simply enter a valid domainname into their browser, then have that name
redirect to a business website, i.e. they'll enter smallbiz.com, and
they go off to www.smallbiz.com. Obviously many big sites do this: for
instance, yahoo.com will redirect to www.yahoo.com. An nslookup on
yahoo.com will give the IP/names of several servers - or maybe cluster
redirectors, or a bunch of load balancing devices, perhaps? Anyway,
simply doing a cname to a webserver doesn't work (didn't think it would,
but I tried anyway. ;) Is there a simple way to do this? Any good
concise, favored, resources on the web that address this? Our external
DNS server is an ancient Solaris 2.6 box, with a really nasty old
version of bind. In-house webservers are iPlanet ws6sp5 on Solaris 9.

Thanks.
-fgz