[ale] failover planning

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Mon Nov 29 20:29:49 EST 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 07:49:43PM -0500, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> Speaking of failover is it possible to install 2 NICS in Linux and put
> them on the same subnet.  I.E. eth0 = 192.168.1.4 and eth1 = 192.168.1.5
> then place those NICS under load balancing.  In this case both will have
> the same DNS and same gateway.  All load balancing setups I've seen load
> balance between multiple Internet connections.
Sure.  No problem.  Of course, this is needed only if your total bandwidth
requirements exceed that of a single NIC (either 100 Mbps duplex or 1 Gbps).

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]

"Microsoft: Unsafe at any clock speed!"