[ale] chroot problems

Eric Anderson eric at afaik.us
Mon Nov 29 10:43:35 EST 2004

I am having some problems with chroot. To isolate my problem I have
reduced it down to the following command lines.

   # chroot /virtual/1/ /bin/bash
chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory
   # cd /virtual/1/
1 # ls -la bin/bash
-rwxr-xr-x  8 root root 693116 Feb 21  2004 bin/bash

So my goal is to chroot into the /virtual/1/ directory and run /bin/bash
once I have chrooted. It gives me back an error that /bin/bash cannot be
found. But if I cd to /virtual/1/ and then ls bin/bash it is clearly
there. And bash is just an example. Just about any executable I have
tried does not seem to work. I know I am missing something extremely
obvious but it is not coming to me. Any suggestions?

Eric