[ale] FAT32 driver and big disk drives

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 15:01:06 EST 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:36:02 -0500, Christopher Fowler
<cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:
> Weird. When I try to format large partiions XP forces me into NTFS.  I
> can not even select FAT32.

That is an arbitrary XP limit.  M$ thinks it is a bad idea to have
FAT32 filesystems bigger than 32GB, so they don't allow you to do
it!!!

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_tdrn.asp

I also cannot format a large (250GB) FAT32 partition with
PartitionMagic.  It will do at least 80GB, so I don't know its max.

I'm using the Linux command "mkfs.msdos -F 32 /dev/hdc1" which seems
to have no problem, but as I said my tape restores are not working
reliably.  It takes a couple of hours to test anything, so I'm hoping
for some more direction.

FYI: I have not yet gotten cygwin to talk to my drive.  The command
"tar -xvf /dev/st0" should work, but it is not. :(

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer