[ale] Using VNC from xinetd

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Tue Nov 23 12:28:28 EST 2004

I'm having trouble running VNC from xinetd.  In particular, I'm having
trouble with both the Xvnc from realVNC and tightvnc, but different
troubles.

With realVNC, as I think I wrote earlier, my server crashes randomly.
So I'm trying tightVNC.

TightVNC appears to work okay from xinetd.  Here is my xinetd config:

#vnc server at 1600 x 1200
service vnc1612
{
    protocol = tcp
    socket_type = stream
    wait = no
    groups = yes
    user = nobody
    server = /usr/bin/Xvnc
    server_args = -inetd -query localhost -once -desktop Development
-geometry 1600x1200 -depth 16 -alwaysshared
    disable = no
    #flags = NOLIBWRAP
}

This works, but because of the "wait = no", only one client can connect
to the session.  I want multiple clients to be able to connect, or to be
able to exit my client, then rejoin the session later.  With realVNC I
can just switch to "wait = yes" and it works like I want.  With tightVNC
the vnc server won't even start up.

Has anyone mastered this?

Thanks,

Michael