[ale] launch programs over ssh into session?

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Mon Nov 22 12:42:32 EST 2004

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 05:24:13PM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
> Jay Loden wrote:
> >I have some machines I have ssh access to (e.g. my mother's machine).
> >I was wondering if there is anyway I could, for example, do something
> >like launch a browser window (let's say konqueror, for example) and
> >have it show up in her session.
> >
> >I don't know much about how sessions are divided in Linux, so I'm not
> >sure how this works.  If I want to open a copy of AbiWord on my
> >mother's machine so she can see it launched, is there any way to do
> >that via ssh? (not vnc, I know how to do that)

> ssh -x momsmachine

> then in that xterm, set DISPLAY to :0.0 as it won't be set by ssh.  Now
> fire off the program.  I just tested this on two boxes I have here.

Actually, it's

     ssh +x momsmachine

You may need to do the following on some Distros/versions:

     `hostname`:0.0

You also can get fancy and avoid typing the commands yourself with:

     ssh +x -t momsmachine "export DISPLAY momsmachine:0.0;abiword"

There are other variations for those that want to get fancy.

> --
> Until later, Geoffrey

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]