[ale] VNC dieing and killing session

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Nov 22 10:30:16 EST 2004

I'm having more, and more serious, VNC trouble.  I run VNC on a remote
system, and then display eclipse on it to do remote programming.  VNC is
kicked off by xinetd, so it runs on demand, which is very slick.  It's
on a RHEL 3 system.

My problem is that this seems to die frequently.  I'm going along fine,
then suddenly my client gets disconnected.  This shouldn't be so bad,
because I can just reconnect, right?  But no, when I reconnect, my VNC
server has exited and I have to log in all over again.

I can't find any message in any log file relating to why the system when
down.  I'm using the VNC server from Real VNC, version 4.0.  I've tried
multiple clients, with the same behavior, so I don't think it is the
client.

Has anyone seen this.  Any suggestions?

Michael