[ale] cron mail messages

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Nov 22 10:19:40 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 17:25, Jay Loden wrote:
> Ok, I have a couple cron jobs that run quite often.  Is there some way to get
> this NOT to mail my mailbox every time it completes? I really, really, really
> don't want my mailbox chock full of "job completed" emails.

Redirect stdout to /dev/null.  That way if there is an error you get the
mail, but if everything works okay you don't get mail.

> Also, does anyone know how to get fetchmail to check an account every five
> minutes and dump the mail to my mailbox?  I have a pop3 account that I'm
> using fetchmail to download the mail from, put it in my server, and give me
> imap access to (easier for me to access and manage as imap).
>
> Unfortunately, the -d command on fetchmail didnt seem to work.  Right now as a
> hack I have a cronjob running every five minutes to run this:
>
> fetchmail -v -f '/home/jay/.fetchmailrc' pop.mailserver.com
>
> when I added fetchmail -v -d 150 -f '/home/jay/.fetchmailrc' pop.toughguy.net
> it didnt collect my mail.  According to the man page, -d means run in daemon
> mode and check mail every n seconds.  What did i miss?

Hmm.  I just run "fetchmail" from my .bashrc, or .kde/Autostart
directory.  Then I have this as my .fetchmailrc file.

set logfile "/home/hirsch/.fetchmaillog"
set postmaster "hirsch"
set bouncemail
set no spambounce
set properties ""
set daemon 60
poll mail.myisp.com with proto POP3
       user 'username' there with password 'password' is 'hirsch' here
options fetchall

Once a minite fetchmail grabs my mail and delivers it to my local box.
I don't really know how to solve any problems because it has always
worked.

Hope that helps,

Michael