[ale] launch programs over ssh into session?

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Nov 22 10:04:21 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 21:26, Geoffrey wrote:
> Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> > Geoffrey, I was under the impression that he wanted to ssh into her box
> > and run an application onto her local X session.  In that case, it would
> > be necessary to run "xhost +" to allow a remote host to run an X app. on
> > the local display.
>
> Not when using ssh.  xhost is related to rsh, rlogin and such.  The x
> app will be running over the ssh tunnel.

Nope.  Not in the scenario described.  He log's on to mom's box via ssh,
then runs "abiword -display :0.0".  Abiword is now displaying to
localhost, not through the ssh tunnel.  Depending on the setup, his mom
may have to run "xhost + localhost" or "xhost +" before it will let
abiword through.  The authentication part of the X protocol always
confuses me.  It may be that if he can log in as his mother, he will end
up sharing her xauth certs, and this will let abiword display without
needing the xhost command, but it definitely is not because of ssh.

Michael