[ale] Slide Show Software[OT]

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Sun Nov 21 23:26:39 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 12:49, aaron wrote:
> On Sunday 21 November 2004 13:14, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> > But that is going to *so* 5ux0r, trying to put slides on video.  If
> > they've already got a film scanner (and if the Nikon Coolscans ever get
> > supported in Linux, it'll be hard for me to resist), they've solved the
> > slide-to-digital conversion part. [snip]
>
> The main reason I was suggesting the video / DVD route is the convenience and
> accessibility of standardized viewing systems, especially for showing or
> sharing the program with groups of Family and Friends.

I don't disagree with you in the least there.  The whole point of making
an MPEG would be to get it transferred to DVD or whatnot.  My concern is
that most any video camera that a normal person is likely to own will do
a rotten job with a photographic image, especially in the reds.  I've
got relatives with old Kodachrome home movies that were shot at sunset
and the red of the lighting just slays; transferred to video, there's
nothing but a pale salmon cast.  The same will go for Dave's relatives'
transparencies.

Jeff