[ale] Slide Show Software[OT]

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Nov 20 18:33:50 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 17:10, David Corbin wrote:
> I'm looking for a recommendation for slide show software.  I don't mean JUST a
> program that takes a bunch of jpegs and shows them one after another.  My
> mother (and her friend) has a whole bunch (I'd guess 50) of slide shows (the
> traditiional type, with color positive films in little cardboard frames) that
> are set to music.  The audio recording has some type (inaudiable) of signal
> on it that drives the two slide projectors to "change".
>
> My mother and her partner have finally decided to "digitize" the shows.  She
> has the slide-scanner, and I'm sure I can hook up the audio and record that.
> But I'd like to find a piece of software that has the necessary features for
> her.
>
> Necessary Features:
> 1) Support Audio w/show
> 2) Many transition choices
> 3) Windows compatible for creation
> 4) Freely distribituable player or really pervasive format
> 5) Really easy to use (my mother gets by on the computer, but a geek she's
> not).

OpenOffice.org's Presents has a great slide show maker. You can insert
sound tracks, adjust time of display for every slide, and choose from a
wide selection of transitions. When it is done, it can be exported as a
flash-formatted file for stand-alone viewing or insertion into a web
page. OpenOffice.org on Window$ is a very nice setup. Not as good as on
a Linux box, but much more "warm and fuzzy" than M$ office.

If you want to make a full-fledged movie files (mpeg4) Cinelerra is
amazingling powerful and probably overkill and intimidating.