[ale] Image programs for Linux?

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Wed Nov 17 23:35:26 EST 2004

I'm a hardcore Linux user, won't be going back to using Windows ever, if I can
help it, but there is ONE thing that I just haven't found for Linux that I
had on Windows, and that's Irfanview.

Irfanview, for those who don't know it, is a small, fast image editor and
viewer for Windows.  It's tiny, and fast, yet it lets you do a whole host of
image editing, like resizing, renaming, slideshow creation, more than I can
even list.  Does anyone out there know of anything similar for Linux?

Kuickshow at least is a fast image viewer, and lets you do an extremely
limited number of things (convert an image to a new format, for example) but
I need something that at least lets me do simple resize, rotate, crop, and
some ehancements and preferably some filters.  (irfanview has a small set of
nice filters like greyscale and whatnot, some image sharpeners, and so
forth).

Before someone says it, I know the GIMP can do a lot of these things, BUT, the
GIMP is a lot heavier than what I want, and not the most convenient tool for
the job.  It's like opening Photoshop just to resize your digital photos -
overkill.

-Jay