[ale] Three d[a]emonic questions

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Tue Nov 16 22:52:37 EST 2004

ALErs -

I'm doing preliminary debug on a simple server I've written.

1) A few months ago (<=12), someone asked how to set things up so one
instance of a service could be kept going, and promptly be restarted when
it died or was killed. There were a couple of replies, but I can't refind
the thread. Could anyone please remind me where to find this?

2) If I use xinetd to start my server, I need to ensure that, if a running
instance of the server exist, that is the one used. If not, a new one
should be started. 'man xinetd' suggests this is a 'single_threaded'
service. How do I designate a service to be this type?

3) My server needs to listen on two ports. I want a connection on either
port to use the same, single, running server, or start one if none is
running at the moment. Can I achieve this with duplicate entries in
/etc/services against the two port numbers? If not, how?

TIA.

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu