[ale] Sort of OT: College Majors

Jim Lynch jwl at sgi.com
Tue Nov 16 13:57:18 EST 2004

I've been watching all the responses and think there is a lot of good
advice.  I made the jump in majors without actually doing it.  Back when
I started school there wasn't a computer science degree.  In fact I
don't think those were two words that were linked in any way.  During my
Junior year of EE, I took a FORTRAN course and learned that I liked
programming far better than anything else I'd ever done.  By then they
had established a CS degree program but all the courses were dual
marked.  CS/EE or CS/MATH or CS/STAT or CS/CE even.  Eventually they
established a separate CS department, but for the time being I could
take CS course and use them to count toward my major or electives and
did.  Never looked back, got the degree and went on to work on computers
for the last 36 years if you can call what I do 'work'.  I kept playing
with electronics as a hobby.

Of course I can admit why I went into engineering now, and that was
because it was the only BS program that didn't require a foreign
language.  After 2 years of high school Latin, I wasn't about to take
another language course.  I'd had enough.

8)
Jim.