[ale] Sort of OT: College Majors

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Tue Nov 16 12:24:21 EST 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, Alexander Barton wrote:

> Parker McGee wrote:
> [...]
> > Also, it seems like I'm going to be bored out of my mind for the AT
> > LEAST the first two years in the Comp Sci curriculum.
>
> In high school I was easily within the 95th or even 98th percentile as
> far as standardized tests went.  I was certainly the most 1337 computer
> geek in a school of 1500.  Then I entered the CS (then called ICS)
> program at Tech starting in '87.  After my first quarter it dawned on me
> that I was no longer the smartest person in my class.  In fact, I
> definitely wasn't even in the top _half_.  :-O
<<snip mature and good advice>>

By all means stick your nose into anything and everything you have the
opportunity to during school. One thing you do want to do, and many don't
like it, is courses involving writing. The clarity and readability of your
written prose makes a difference in how "intelligent" you appear, and your
ability to convince superiors/customers of your abilities.

IMHO, of course. YMMV