[ale] OT: Court tomorrow

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Tue Nov 16 11:49:42 EST 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, Christopher Fowler wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 14:40, Greg wrote:
> > I would suggest that the most obvious/simple explanation is the actual
> > explanation - that traffic court is to punish those who violate traffic
> > laws.  Fault (unless it's a no-fault state) must be determined because they
> > who commit the crime shall pay for all expenses and need to be punished for
<<snip>>
> WTF?  I fixed their car and I took blame for hitting them.  That does
> not warrant a citation.  I do not appreciate you making a general
> statement as if I was trying to get out of the whole thing including
> fixing their car.  It hit the person I fixed their car.  That's not good
> enough for the cop.  He wants his piece of the action.

My appologies up front if I sound like an ass or worse. You hit the other
person's car and caused damage. Part of the cost of that action is the
court/legal costs and consequences. Blaming the cop for that is being
silly. (At some point in damages/injury, the cop pretty much loses all
discretionary ability as to whether or not to file the report. Keep the
damage under $100, the officer can afford to not file and accident
report.)