[ale] help with a tiny shell script - correction

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Tue Nov 16 09:56:43 EST 2004

>>>>> "Christopher" == Christopher Bergeron <christopher at bergeron.com> writes:

    Christopher> Correction: the for line should read: for i in `\ls
    Christopher> *.csv`; do cat $i >> append.csv; echo -e "\n" >>
    Christopher> append.csv; done (for i in backtick backslash ls
    Christopher> start dot csv backtick semicolon ...)

Using ls to generate a list of files from the list of files the glob
your shell just expanded is kind of pointless (akin to a useless use
of cat :), and on some platforms with enough matching files ls might
fail if expands into too many arguments.  Just say:

for i in *.csv ; do
  # ...
done

and let the shell do its thing.