[ale] Sort of OT: College Majors

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Mon Nov 15 22:13:14 EST 2004

At 18 very few individuals can predict the future.  I have only known 1
person who grew up only wanting to do something, majored in it, and got a
job in it (education).  After 5 yrs she was kinda burned out and last I
heard she left it.  A lot of folks change majors, careers, and jobs.  I
wouldn't worry about it.  No one expects you to know the future right now.
I would suggest taking the computer science major to start out with (most
colleges make you spend the first year/ semester / whatever taking the
freshman overall/general courses so you do have some time and opportunities
to decide before concentrating on courses for your major.  I don't know your
level of knowledge, but there is a hell of a lot of computer theory that is
taught in college that could prove useful later.  Just remember that there
is "college engineering" and that there is "corporate engineering".  The
former is how the eggheads do it and the latter is how you will do it once
you get a job.  It applies to all engineering professions and vocations
(law, medicine, etc). But ... in you need the base of the former to do the
later.

A college degree is also a door opener to many companies.  There is a kernel
developer at a high level (an OpenBSD committer) who can't get a job in
Europe now because instead of spending time in a classroom he was committing
code for the OpenBSD project & working for a company.  It seems all of the
employers there want to see a college degree on his resume rather than his
string of commits.  There are also research companies (IBM, AT & T, etc) who
require a Ph.D. for certain jobs.  As a friend at GM said "The janitor has a
Masters." (he had 1 BS, 2 MS, and was a course short of a Ph.D. before Uncle
Sam grabbed him).  A degree shows an employer that you can stick with
something and do it well.  Short of getting a job now coding/sys admining,
it is probably a good idea to go to college.  I suspect your folks would
agree.

In short, take what you want with the expectation that it is ok to change
later.  Enjoy it.  You probably won't have the same opportunity again.
Remember, a lot of folks do IT but with another degree for use in another
field (Dow Hurst comes to mind as well as a lot of my Industrial Engineering
friends).

I don't think you have too much to worry about.  There is quite a bit about
IT that I am sure you can spend your time on in college.

Good Luck,

Greg