[ale] Sort of OT: College Majors

James Sumners james at sumners.ath.cx
Mon Nov 15 21:54:08 EST 2004

Uh, yeah, I will just trim all of that out.

I guarantee you that 99% of those people you just talked about, who are
interested in the CS program, will be culled in the first year, maybe two, of
the curriculum. GATech has a hellacious first two years for that very purpose.
No, I have not taken it but I know someone that did -- he spent all, and I do
mean all, of his free time working on it.

I also highly doubt you will learn as much from the internet about CS than if
you were to take some GATech courses in the major.

Your best option is to sit down with an advisor and discuss your plans with
them. That is what they are there for. You may have to see an advisor for each
curriculum but they will be able to tell you all about it in much greater detail
than the tour you took. During the tour they are just trying to sell the degree;
an advisor will actually tell you about the degree.

If you decide to go with CS you will still have to take several hours of another
science. No one would stop you from taking physics as that elective. Physics and
CS go very well together.

--
James Sumners
http://ug.dyndns.org/~jsumners/

"All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological
personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the
corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a
condition to which they are quickly addicted."

CH:D 59