[ale] OT: Court tomorrow

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Nov 15 15:05:03 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 14:40, Greg wrote:
> I would suggest that the most obvious/simple explanation is the actual
> explanation - that traffic court is to punish those who violate traffic
> laws.  Fault (unless it's a no-fault state) must be determined because they
> who commit the crime shall pay for all expenses and need to be punished for
> justice's sake.  Having a car presently in the shop due to an idiot's
> driving I'm glad of the present system as opposed to *me* the victim having
> to go to court to prove the obvious.  In my case he lost control and skidded
> across 2 lanes and the median to hit me while I was stationary at light.
> The idiot then tried to blame it on the recent rain and slick road
> conditions rather then either saying nothing or taking responsibility for
> his actions.  Insurance companies as well as justice require a person whose
> fault caused the incident.  While in some places it is a "money making
> scheme" I would suggest that it is not that way in all places.
>
> In this instance we have nothing more than a person who is trying to avoid
> his responsibility for causing an accident by trying to play jail house
> lawyer (lots of folks like to do this and it makes them look pretty funny
> when they go up against a real lawyer in court) and looking for a
> technicality rather than being a stand up guy and saying "It's my fault and
> I will pay the consequences - no need to cause the public further expense
> and inconvenience".  The deal to plead nolo contendre and avoid the fine was
> a hell of a good thing for the people's attorney (DA ?  in VA they are the
> "commonwealth's attorney) to offer the original poster.  That in itself
> seems to void the advice of your jaded lawyer friend.  I would advise taking
> the "gift".

WTF?  I fixed their car and I took blame for hitting them.  That does
not warrant a citation.  I do not appreciate you making a general
statement as if I was trying to get out of the whole thing including
fixing their car.  It hit the person I fixed their car.  That's not good
enough for the cop.  He wants his piece of the action.

NOLO can only be used once every 5 years.  Save it on something that is
big like speeding.