[ale] usbdevfs confusion

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 15 13:47:30 EST 2004

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 03:49:51PM -0500, Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> Jerald, thanks for the help, but my device isn't a memory stick.  It's
> actually a USB-serial converter.  I have it working on one of my linux
> boxes, but not the other.  I can't seem to figure out why.

Is this a Palm pilot device?

> When I plug the device in, it says it's being added to "ttyUSB0".  I
> have a /dev/ttyUSB0 with the right character node (188 0) and my
> permissions are apparently correct (because they're the same as on the
> working machine).
>
> Is there a utility I can use to monitor the /dev/ttyUSB0 device to see
> if anything is happening there?  I've tried "cat /dev/ttyUSB0", but no adeu.

Newer systems (I think it depends on the version of hotplug and/or devfs
or udev installed) use /dev/tts/USB1 instead of /dev/ttyUSB1.  If you're
using udev, this page: http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php is a
good reference for writing udev rules and for figuring out what
components are connected to what device.

HTH,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9