[ale] Linux for "normal" people?

jay jloden at toughguy.net
Mon Nov 15 01:15:21 EST 2004

Out of curiosity, how many of you on the list have switched friends or family
members onto Linux?

I for one have gotten my mother and my girlfriend both on Linux, and they're
both quite happy with it, despite not knowing pretty much anything about
computers.  Do you all have similar experiences?  Thoughts? Comments?

I find that for people that aren't gamers, or installing lots of software or
otherwise dependent on windows software, linux has worked out great.  My mom
does nothing but surf the web, write the occasional document, and read email.
I'm just curious if you all have similar experience with "evangelizing" Linux
to your friends and coworkers and family.

-Jay

P.S. The following comes from my girlfriend and I over IM the other night,
after she rebooted her computer (I gave her Linux and winXP as a safety net
in case she had trouble using Linux, since I had no time to teach her
anything about Linux after I installed it):

Me: are you in Windows now then?
Her: no
Me: oh?
Her: it let me pick
Me: yeah, but I didn't think you'd pick Linux (lilo boots XP by default)
Her: why not?
Her: it's easy to use
Me: hehehe
Her: and i don't get a million error messages
Me: HAHAHA
Her: windows don't just close themselves for no reason
Her: i haven't had to restart because of freezing once
Her: why mess with something that actually works correctly?
Her: know what i mean?