[ale] somewhat OT: sysadmin must-knows?

jay jloden at toughguy.net
Mon Nov 15 01:03:47 EST 2004

Another thought:  does it at all help that I have a lot of experience doing
end user support and fixing just about anything that can go wrong with a
desktop or laptop system?

I know it's not systems administration, but I worked for the college doing
"student computer services" and running my own business on the side,
etc...pretty much if it's windows and it breaks, I can fix it or find a way
to fix it.  Is this an asset in looking for work as a sysadmin?  Should I
maybe try to get in the door in a help desk position or something?

I'm quite comfortable fixing end user systems, and I'm pretty good at it, but
at the same time, i dont want to do it for a career.  Frankly, end users are
frustrating, and I am really, really, beginning to hate supporting Windows.
It's just one thing after another breaking nonstop and I feel so much more
happy when I'm working in a Linux environment. But, maybe it can help me get
a foot in the door (to be promptly crushed by the door, perhaps)?

-Jay